Communication: An Area That Most Businesses Would Like to See Grow!
How’s communication within your Family Farm Business? If this is an area of your business that you’d like to see grow, read on! One of the common mistakes Farm Business owners make as they navigate the waters of Family Farm ownership is lack of communication. Lack of communication often sets up a Family Farm for disaster. It’s easy to forget about basic communication etiquette when you’re working hard. Let's look at some communication tips that can improve relational dynamics within your Family Farm Business.
Successful Communication: When You’re Doing the Talking
Being a good communicator doesn’t happen by mistake. People who are good communicators plan carefully, practice, and are intentional in expressing their thoughts, goals, and ideas. Here are a few ideas that might help you improve personal communication within your family business:
- Choose an opportune time to speak. Avoid conversation when either you or the other party are tired, hungry, or stressed
- Strive to give valuable and on point takeaway thoughts
- Don’t assume that you can read your partner’s mind, or that they can read yours. Check for comprehension and understanding!
- Seek to clearly outline your position and don’t forget to honestly discuss expectations
- Talk about communication preferences with each partner, such as face-to-face, email, phone, etc
Successful Communication: Being a Good Listener
A good communicator is not only a person that is able to express ideas, but also one who is good at listening. Here are a few tips that will help you become a better listener:
- Try not to interrupt the other person
- Pause when they have finished speaking before responding
- Practice summarizing what they have said to you, to check for comprehension and understanding
- Look for verbal and non-verbal cues such as body language, tone of voice, etc
- Listen without planning out a response
- Try to listen with openness to the other person’s thoughts and ideas
- Strive to keep responses clear and to the point
- Aim to validate what the other party has shared and then respond
Questions? We’re Here to help!
At Barrett Financial Services, we specialize in helping Farm Business Owners like you plan for a successful future. Offering our clients customized Financial, Business, and Tax Planning are just a few of the many services we are able to provide. The members of our Financial Planning Team at Barrett Financial Services are happy to answer any additional questions you have about Farm Business Plans or set up an appointment to discuss your financial goals and needs. Please contact us if you have questions we can answer and a member of our team will get back to you.